Gynecomastia condition occurs in men due to low testosterone which results in enlarged breasts. It is a hormone that occurs naturally and helps in developing male physical features along with affects mood and sex drive. Read the given topic, to know about gynecomastia and testosterone.
Low Testosterone Level
Testosterone is a type of hormone which decreases with age. It is also known as hypogonadism. According to studies after the age of 45 one in 4 men suffer from a low level of testosterone. This can lead to complications like:
- Reduced libido
- Low sperm count
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Enlarged male breasts, known as gynecomastia
What is Gynecomastia condition?
The male body produces testosterone and estrogen (female hormone), although estrogen is at a very low level. In case the estrogen level is more as compared to testosterone then it can trigger the issue of enlarged breasts.
When the boys hit puberty the body goes through different changes and it might be possible that gynecomastia appears. It might be possible that the problem gets treated with time or the person needs treatment.
Reasons behind low Testosterone and Gynecomastia
Low T level is due to aging. It might be possible that other health conditions can create a problem. Talk to your doctor as they will help you know the underlying reason behind it like:
- Damage to testes cells that produce testosterone
- Testicular cancer
- Cancer treatment, including radiation and chemotherapy
- Diseases which affect brain parts, like the hypothalamus and the pituitary gland
In case the men are taking anabolic steroids it can even affect the body’s ability to produce testosterone.
Treating the problem
- This problem can be treated with medications like raloxifene (Evista) and tamoxifen (Soltamox). But these medications are not FDA approved and using them off-label is safe. So, talk to the doctor before you start taking them.
- In severe cases, the surgical option is best which is laparoscopy which helps in taking away the excess fat from the body. With this procedure, the breast gland won’t be affected. To do the surgery small incision is needed and recovery time is short.
Treatment options are there are different forms like:
- Skin gels
Men who undergo testosterone replacement therapy will have a better result. It helps in improving the:
- Muscle mass
- Sex drive
Consult the doctor
Keep in mind to get the best advice to consult the doctor as they will help you choose the option which works in your favor and solve your problem.